Friday, July 31, 2009

What About Bob?

My latest escapade took me into the Bob Marshall Wilderness, a vast million plus acre national forest south of Glacier NP. My trail lead me south along the lazy South Fork of the Flathead River, pictured below winding its way north.

I traveled solo and was out for the entire nine days which had its pros and cons. I had to carry a lot of weight and setting up trees took longer, but it was nice to hike at my own pace and listen to the sounds of the forest. Being not as popular as Glacier, few other travelers were seen. I went almost three days without seeing, or even hearing, another person. I was lucky enough to stay in Ranger Patrol Cabins for a few nights and there was usually other people (horse packers, trail crews, etc...) staying there with me. These cabins were built in the '30s and are beautiful, rustic and homey. Enjoying hot cups of coffee, getting ready to start the days were humble moments.


I didn't see any bears, moose, elk or mountain lions, but did wake up in the middle of the night to a wolf howling right next to my tent. I enjoyed the sound for a minute, then realized he was probably calling his friends over for dinner, so I started to yell. He stopped and I fell back asleep and thankfully I was in one piece when I awoke. Butterflies were everywhere, fluttering along side me as I hiked and sometimes there were dozens of them in one spot.


Butterflies weren't the only prevalent beauty throughout the wilderness; flowers, flowers and more flowers were blooming all around me. The sun rising over these gorgeous flowers started my morning off in a good mode.


Towards the end of the hitch I hiked up high enough to see the far reaching South Fork River valley. The sublime cloud cover hung in the setting sun sky making me appreciate even more this excellent adventure that I've taken. Hope you're enjoying it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment